There are different reasons for seeking therapy. Sometimes people are faced with unexpected challenges in their lives such as family or work transitions, loss or illness. Others want to alleviate psychological symptoms of anxiety or depression. Sometimes personal growth and increasing self-awareness are sought. Psychotherapy promotes insight, provides support and promotes development of improved coping strategies and problem solving skills. It is an active process that involves willingness for self-examination and change. It can provide ongoing benefits, giving you the tools you need to avoid triggers, eliminate unhealthy repetitive patterns, and better manage the challenges you face.
* Attaining a better understanding of yourself, your goals and values
* Developing skills for improving your relationships
* Finding resolution to the issues or concerns that led you to seek therapy
* Learning new ways to cope with stress and anxiety
* Managing anger, grief, depression, and other emotional pressures
* Improving communications and listening skills
* Changing old behavior patterns and developing new ones
* Discovering new ways to solve problems in your family or marriage
* Improving your self-esteem and boosting self-confidence
What can I expect?
Every therapy session is unique and caters to each individual and their specific goals. An initial visit is often 90 minutes long and regular visits are about 50-55 minutes long. Therapy can focus on a specific issue or addressing more complex issues or ongoing personal growth. It is important to process what has been discussed and integrate it into your life between sessions. For therapy to be most effective you must be an active participant, both during and between the sessions. Reading, lifestyle changes, stress reduction exercises and tracking certain behaviors and reactions are often recommended. People seeking psychotherapy are willing to take responsibility for their actions, work towards self-change and create greater awareness in their lives. You can best achieve sustainable growth and a greater sense of well being with an integrative approach to wellness.
Please view individual descriptions of coaching, testing, and consulting under the services section.
There are different fees for different services. Dr. Sterling does not accept insurance. If your insurance covers services, she will assist you in the claims process. A sliding scale fee is offered to graduate students. Specific information about fees is provided upon initial contact.